Tuesday, October 14, 2008



SUGARY
was last week's theme over at Illustration Friday. Unfortunately, I did not realize it was last week's theme till after I posted this and entered my link in the IF linkslist. Sorry! Since my entry cannot be retracted I'll just carry on as though nothing was wrong. ;-)

I certainly have an embarrassment of riches to choose from in the sugary images department! I painted this little piece in August...I'd always wanted to paint a broken piece of pastry or bread but have always had some inexplicable block. I know this sounds weird. Why do we have these odd internal harnesses? Anyway, my son Henry (who has autism and mental retardation) got into my studio and got into my still life set-ups (he likes to eat the pastries and candy, even if they are stale.) This doughnut fell to the floor during the raid and broke beautifully in half, so, despite the wreckage I ended up feeling very grateful to him! It was as though I had finally gotten permission to paint a piece of broken pastry, because after all, it would have been a shame to let it go to waste!

Not sure what all that stems from, and probably best not to inquire too deeply. But anyway, here is my late, sugary, post!

Broken, oil on canvas laid to wood, 5 x 7 inches

14 comments:

Ann Marie DiVecchia said...

This is a beautiful painting! The color and light is lovely!! Better late than never. And I'm glad you got past your block. :)

DK said...

lovely painting. I'd like to have a bite of your illustration. :)

get zapped said...

My mouth is watering :) Lovely illo.

Roberta said...

How lovely this is. I've missed seeing your art on IF!

Candace Trew Camling said...

this is so delicious looking! I don't know why...but I sort of crave a donut suddenly.

parisa mahmoudi said...

yummy,mmmmm!

neilornstein said...

lovely work and love the island post aqs well
regards, N

Johanna said...

that looks yummy!

life without novacaine said...

simply sugary, so glad you posted this anyway! Love your work.

Elizabeth said...

Photo-realistic!

INDIGENE said...

Hmmm...it looks delicious! You never cease to amaze me. All that you do is extraordinary! Sweetness right back at you!

www.indigenartforms.blogspot.com

Kathleen Rietz said...

Beautifullllllll!!

Unknown said...

i though it was a photo.very nice :)
love it

studio lolo said...

You've got to love Henry! There are no accidents. He's your new prop guy ;)